Thursday, March 18, 2010

Sacele with Otto and Elisabeth Kis









We had a very good day today. Everytime I visit Romania, I am learning something new about the Romanian system of things. Early afternoon I went with Otto to a Hungarian speaking high school. They did not do well on their eight grade national exam so they were tracked to the vocational high school. The vocational high school in Sacele is focused on tourism. If you are a vocational high school student in Sacele then you are in tourism unless you find a way to attend a vocational school in Brasov or another town. My eyes were opened to the reality of motivation in school. What really surprised me was Romanian requirements for new business. If these students wanted to start a new business. They would have to have a university degree in the area of their busines. Which means they would have to pass a national high school exam and complete the university training. They can only start a business in the area of training. When I asked why? The teacher said because they must know how to do the paper work associated with starting and running the business. She, Erniko, is a great teacher and committed to helping these students. In fact, she teaches kindergarten in the mornings and comes to the high school in the afternoons to teach the students. One class was the class most have given up on--they will be waiters or servers. I can see why many young Romanains leave Romania now. The opportunities are hugh outside of Romania compared to inside. Regardless of what may be said about the business climate in the US. We really are the Land of Opportunity. Otto goes to the high school once a week to teach a class best described as purpose and values.

We left for a quick lunch and then on to the Childrens Club. I shared with them about children in East Africa, taught them a Swahili song (wth movements), and showed them some pictures of the people and a few animals. They are great. Otto and Elisabeth do a great job with them. I recognized some of the older girls from previous visits. They remembered some of the Swahili song--they really enjoyed the movement.

Immediately following was a gathering of young couples. I spoke on Marriage and Mission. We had a good time together talking, visiting, sharing. David Borzasi translated--like old times in Brasov. I really enjoyed getting to talk with David again. I met his wife, Kinga. Thursday night I will have dinner with the Borzasi family.

Tomorrow we have a meeting and lunch with the Hope Group, a group of disabled persons who minister with Otto and Elisabeth. At night, I will be at the Brasov Church.

1 Comments:

Blogger Anna said...

You are busy as always.

March 18, 2010 9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home