Saturday, March 06, 2010

Nzihi Children's Home and Soccer















The new orphanage which Daily Bread Life Children's Home began operating in December 2009 is in the village of Nzihi, about an hour's drive from Iringa toward Ruaha National Game Park. The village has a very serious problem with orphans and HIV. From the past Teleios Ministry newsletter, you may know some of the story.

Daily Bread Life Children's Home was asked by the government to take over the operation of the orphanage. The option was to close the orphanage or have someone take it over. Mpeli and Neema struggled in prayer over this decision. Finally, they decided to take over the orphanage. The orphanage has great facilities and a developed farm. But, after December 2010 there will be no funds to operate it. There are only 15 children at the home now. There were other problems that I will not go into here. By faith, Neema and Mpeli took over the orphanage--they could not stand to see the orphans have to return to where they came from. Also, the orphanage is for children birth through seven, so these are very vulnerable children.

Today we visited the new DBL Children's Home in Nzihi. The miracle that has taken place in just two months is amazing. First, many of the workers have become Christians through the influence of DBL. Second, the influence of Mpeli, Neema and the DBL staff is evident. The orphanage will accomodate many more children, but there are not enough funds or workers with a "calling" for children. Please pray about the future of the Nzihi Children's Home and its ministry in that community.

The Nzihi farm is doing great under DBL supervision. Tomatoes are being produced for market and for both Children's Homes, and it seems that new piglets are being born every month which will provide meat. The farm is not quite as large as the Kidete farm but is more developed as it has been operating since 2006.

We had a great time with the children and staff. Pray as we seek partners to come alongside DBL Children's Home in the development and support of the Nzihi orphanage.

Returning from Nzihi, we had an afternoon of soccer and playing with the children. Somehow, I, Floyd, ended up as the goalie for one of the teams. Did I mention how good the DBL children play soccer. I was successful in my goal keeping until the end. I found myself one on one with Alyn. I still don't understand how he stopped his kicking motion for I was sure I would block it. Next I know his foot is moving again and the ball rolled oh so slowly through the goal post. The final score was 1 to 0. I can tell you that my being successful as a goalie 9 out 10 times did not bring consolation to my team or heighten their appreciation for my "football" skills.

Tonight was our final "regular" worship time with the children. Tomorrow night we will say goodbye. These few days have flown by. Already, I feel a sadness in leaving my "grandchildren" and will miss being called "My Father" or "My Grandfather."

This is the rainy season. Every day we have thunderstorms with very heavy rains. The transformation of the land is amazing from the dusty, dry days just a few months ago when we visited. Green everywhere instead of brown and beautiful blooming flowers everywhere.

Tomorrow we will go to Kidete for worship. I wish that you could all join for this time of worship. Nzihi reminds me that Jesus transforms lives in many ways.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home