Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Wednesday: The Bush and The Celebrations

Bonnie and I had a true adventure today.   With Mpeli and Neema, we drove to the next conference site we thought.   The conference was suppose to be in the mountains southeast of Mbeya, Tanzania.  The local pastor in charge of the arrangements decided to change locations.  Only problem, Mpeli found out after we left Mbeya headed for the conference.    The only issue is that the new location was really in the bush.   We drove on a path that was supposed to be a road.    Because of heavy rains, the road was slick, black mud.   We thank God for 4 wheel drive. 
Sadiki, Raymond, and Chapa led the worship and singing.   Pawdre translated for Bonnie and Mpeli translated for me. 

When we got to the conference site, the church was packed.   We had a great time with the people.   Just a few things about today that was unique and most do not have pictures. Please understand that I am not being negative.   The people were great.   But, even these things were “new” to Mpeli and Neema.   Even Neema called this “the bush”. 
1.  The “toilet” was constructed in such a way that Sadiki and Mpeli did not want Bonnie and Neema to use it for fear they would fall through the wooden floor slats.    I decided not to take a picture because the spaces between the slats were such that the camera or my phone could fall into the sewage pit.   I know this is too much information.   Bonnie and Neema did find an alternative safe bathroom.
2.  Before lunch it started to rain again.  It rained so hard that Bonnie and Pawdre had to stop teaching because no one could hear them for the rain.   For Tanzania, it was cold.   People were wrapped in blankets, sweaters, and parkas. 
3. The ladies prepared us lunch.  We deeply appreciate their efforts.   The meat was chicken.  The chicken was so tough that Bonnie literally could not bite into it.   I was determined to eat that chicken.  I bit into a chicken leg and pulled it away from me.   All of a sudden my teeth cut one side of the meat but the other side held tight.   The chicken leg flew back and hit me in the face.   Of course, this was hilarious to Bonnie and Neema.    After I finished my piece of chicken and Bonnie’s, I learned that Mpeli, Pawdre, Sadiki, and Neema did not eat their chicken because it was too tough.   I am proud to say that no chicken is going to make me quit—give up. 
4. Last but not least, just in case you question how much in the bush.   The villagers had spotted a lion in the area.   I am not sure but we were not far from the Malawi border. 
 
After we returned to Mbeya area, we met Agrey and Chris (two Daily Bread Life college students at their college near Mbeya).   We enjoyed seeing them and giving them tools for their practical training and projects in Automobile repair and Electronics.   They are doing great.   When we see them and remember April 2006 when they came to DBLCH, we rejoice at what God has done in their lives and ours. 


We ended the night by eating out at a restaurant of Neema’s choosing in Mbeya to celebrate Neema’s birthday.    We had a blast just laughing and enjoying the evening. 









0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home