Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Friday: From Guatemala to Iringa



Just an update on what has been happening, Kip Miller and I joined a Carpenter’s for Christ vision team to visit the Hope of Life Ministry in Guatemala.   Outstanding ministry founded and led by Carlos Vargas. 

Mpeli Mwaisumbe met me when I arrived in Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania on Friday morning.  I had been in Guatemala with a Carpenter’s for Christ group.   Left Guatemala on Wednesday afternoon and flew to Atlanta.   Then, Wednesday night I flew Atlanta to Amsterdam with a long layover in Amsterdam.  Then, Thursday night I flew to Nairobi and on to Dar Es Salaam Friday morning.   The traffic in Dar was rough and it took us almost three hours go to Chalinze (usually an hour and half drive).  
The rains had not really started and it was hot and dry as we began our journey.   We had showers on and off after we left Morogoro.   A lot of broken down trucks in the mountains and many wrecks (trucks running off the road).   This is the main road into Central Africa and its only two lanes.  So there is heavy traffic, as you can see by the road pictures.    We arrived in Iringa at the children’s home around 7 PM.  
What a blessing to meet the children.   One of the special moments for me is meeting and greeting the children when I arrive--their smiles, seeing how much they have grown, and just the sheer joy of celebrating being together again.  Unfortunately, no pictures since I am traveling alone this time.  Where is the camera crew when you need them?   I am always at home here.   
With the older boys doing some landscaping and a reliable water source, Mpeli and Neema's back yard has become a garden.   One of the real blessings of being here is getting up in the morning and sitting in the backyard as the sun is coming up--surrounded by the beauty, the birds singing, and the warmth of the sun as you read and pray. 








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home