Friday, March 11, 2011

Sunday: Nyama Choma Celebration










After Sunday worship we went for “Nyama Choma” or grilled meat to celebrate with the young women that Bernard and Mary have “adopted” into their family. Judy and Eunice are Bernard’s nieces who are now his due to the death of his brother and sister-in-law. Margaret is an “adopted” daughter." Cynthia is an “adopted daughter.” Margaret and Cynthia both are entering college after passing the National Exam. So, we were celebrating. Also, we wanted to have time with Titus’ family.

The afternoon was interesting because Bernard asked the young women, “Should I expect a dowry from your fiancé when you get married?” All of them said yes. This was very interesting to me because they are all very independent young women. Then Bernard asked, “How much should they appreciate me, really you? (or how much of a dowry should I ask or should they give for you?” This made for an interesting but entertaining afternoon.

Back to the Nyama Choma, we had roasted chicken and goat ribs with sides of French fries, roasted potatoes, and greens. This was really good. We had a great time. I am glad I was taking pictures so you cannot see the pile of ribs in front of my plate.

As soon as we arrived home, I went over all my things — I did not leave anything in Kenya! We headed for the airport. Time in Kenya was too short.

Had a nice six-hour sleep on the plane from Nairobi to Amsterdam. Then, it was on to Budapest and Targu Mures to meet Attila and Adel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home