Saturday, February 26, 2011

At Home with Daily Bread Life Children's Home








The safari from Greenville to Daily Bread Life Children’s Home was another adventure in God’s provision. In Atlanta on my way to JFK in New York for the flight to Europe, big surprise, I feel asleep before the plane left the gate. I woke up to the words, “cross check for arrival”. I said to myself, “Wow! I slept all the way to JFK.” Then I looked out the window and the view looked just like Atlanta. We never left Atlanta due to mechanical problems. They were to be fixed soon. I knew then that I would miss my flight in JFK to Amsterdam, to Nairobi (where I was meeting Adrian and Sorin from Romania) and finally to Dar Es Salaam. The flight attendant said they would see what would happen. After a few moments, I called the Delta Sky Miles representative (flying a lot does have its advantages). A wonderful lady, Phyllis Lewis, in Cincinnati, quickly accessed the situation and arranged a flight out of Atlanta to Amsterdam. She said, “Dr. Parker, get off the plane now and go to the Delta agent at the gate.” I knew that once I left the plane that I would not get back on. What about my luggage? She said, “Dr. Parker, get off the plane, stay on the phone with me but get off the plane.” (Bonnie, you would be so proud of me. I got all my junk together and did not leave a thing. Not one book left, Meg.)

I got off the plane—it was hectic for about 15 minutes but I had a flight from Atlanta to Amsterdam. There I met a lady from Volunteers in Medical Mission—a great ministry out of Seneca, SC. The group was headed to Southern Sudan. Also, I was able to share with a lady who was headed to India to see her father who was dying of cancer.

On the flight from Amsterdam to Nairobi we were late leaving Amsterdam making my connections in Nairobi to meet Adrian and Sorin questionable. But, I sat next to an Agricultural Economist headed to Southern Sudan. He was going to help the new government set up an agricultural strategy for getting the refugees back to the villages and farming. We had a great visit and as he talked about what was needed in East Africa. He described Teleios Ministry in its approach to investing in indigenous dreams. He was very interested in our farming in Tanzania.

In Nairobi, the proverbial running through airports took place. I went to the transfer desk and was told, “I am sorry the check in has closed if you do not have a boarding pass.” I said that I had to get on that plane and I needed boarding pass. The Kenyan airways agent called two or three people and said, “You must hurry and they will let you on the plane.” So with no boarding pass I headed to the gate (last on in the terminal). I made it. But I did not see Adrian and Sorin. In fact, they arrived after I did because of being slow coming through immigrations at the airport.

We were on our way to Dar Es Salaam. Ephraim, pastor in Dar, and Mpeli Mwaisumbe, Daily Bread Life Children’s Home met us at the airport. For the second trip in a row, my luggage decided to stay a few days extra on the trip. No problem! I was almost home. A hot shower, four hour sleep, and a comfortable bed at the Namnani—it doesn’t get any better than this. We left early Friday morning for Iringa. Saw my friends at the Kobel station in Chalinzi and had beef soup, chapatti, and samosas. UMMM! There is nothing like eating your way across Tanzania.

Sorin and Adrian were amazed at the differences between Tanzania and Kenya. Sorin had never been to Africa. He and Adrian were in Kenya with Teleios Partner, Bernard Mwangi. They had done a safari but had seen no elephants. Sorin, a Romanian pastor from Abud, wanted to see them. The Lord provided with a herd of elephants in the Mikumi National Park as we drove through on our way to Iringa. It was a great safari.

For those who travel to Iringa, the road is almost finished and really nice with the new pavement and being re-worked.

As I have always said, there is nothing that compares with the greeting received by the children of Daily Bread Life Children’s Home. Adrian’s and Sorin’s eyes filled with tears as the children sang welcome and surrounded them with hugs and holding hands. We worshipped together, singing and dancing praising the Lord.

Maka, Sam, Betha, and Bonnie (Mpeli and Neema’s children) are doing great. I am now home with my family in Tanzania.

So many stories already to tell. The light of Jesus Christ that shines from DBLCH is changing a city and country. Just to say, that a young man came Friday night to Mpeli and Neema’s house that had been led to the follow Jesus the night before. We were praising the Lord last night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home